Monday, May 6, 2013

One Life to Live: Revival


So, I have a thing for soaps. And I will admit, when One Life to Live premiered on Monday, I was one of the first to watch it. I'm not ashamed of this at all. I've been watching it for about seven years now, on and off through college. It started with my grandma and then my sister getting me into them, so they have a bit of sentimental value behind them.

One thing about soap operas that I'm tired of, which I've talked to my sister about, is the stereotyping that comes with it. They assume all watchers are white women who have no jobs and stay at home. I'm not exaggerating. A reporter at the NYtimes essentially said that. A person my sister knows said to her "people who watch soap operas don't contribute to society and live vicariously through the characters." It's comments like these that make people who watch them seem... well... crazy.

Sometimes, yes, soap operas can be dramatic, but so what? The average person I know, or come into contact with, on a daily basis have lives more dramatic than that. I'm rambling a little bit, let me get back on track...ish. I will admit the story line this week was a little weird, but hey, they're getting back into the groove and it'll pick back up. I'm excited to see what's going to happen next and plan on watching it faithfully!

Judge me if you'd like, I think they're fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment