Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I Put One Foot in Front of the Other One

I know it's two feet, but one has to go before the other! Also, sorry I couldn't think of a better picture!
I'm currently sitting in the conference room of the building that I am a Resident Assistant in trying to get some writing done but I've decided to go ahead and take a break so that I can finally get up my first post on here. Most blogs start out with an opening post about why they are blogging and what not but if you read my header or my about me it's already there.

I love writing. I have for years now and can't remember a time when I wasn't coming up with little stories in my head about what was going on around me, or what I wished was going on around me. Sometimes I've written those stories down, but most of the time they've slipped away from me. I know I'm already a Junior in college (I'm getting old!) but I'm glad that I can finally start to get these words down on paper and out there for people to see.

I'm sorry if this first post doesn't make much sense. I'm feeling kind of all over tonight! But don't worry, my future posts will make more sense.

So let's talk about writing. I'm currently taking place in NaNoWriMo. And for those of you who don't know what that is, it's a challenge for writers to write 50,000 words in November. Guess what, those of you who didn't know what it was, it's only November 6th! That means you can still take place! Click on THIS and you will be taken to their official website where you can meet tons of awesome people. If you want to add me my username is KSavoie. 

Anyway, many writers scoff at NaNo saying it is stupid or it belittles writing but just like Veronica Roth, author of the Divergent series, in her blog (HERE) it's a good tool to get the bare bones of your story out. She even states that on December 1st when your novel is done, you shouldn't send it out. You mull over it, yell at it, cry if need be. NaNo is a tool to outline your story. It's a tool to push writers who normally can't into the world of having a novel. I won't call you an author, because I'm not even an author, authors are published, but you are a writer, we're all writers. If your pencil has hit that paper or your fingers that keyboard, you are a writer. The months after NaNo use to your advantage to polish your work and then you can proudly state I am an author. So if you're like I am, and you need that extra push to get going, join NaNo and get going.

At this point in your writing career, no one it stopping you but yourself.

Anyway, feel free to comment on anything I've discussed. Or comment and let me know what I can improve on in my blog. Share me with your friends. I can be a hoot and a holler sometimes. If you have a blog and would like to guest write on here, or you would like me to guest write on yours, just get in touch and we'll do this. One writer patting another writer's back.

As my character Abigail in my NaNo would say, "We're all humans, we're just trying to help each other out. If we start fighting each other, none of us will survive."

No comments:

Post a Comment