Friday, March 29, 2013

Exciting News!

Hello all!

I have some exciting news to talk about this week! Earlier this week I found out that I was the runner up in a poetry contest that my campus held (Roxana Rivera Memorial Poetry contest)! I got to read my poem on stage in front of people, including the guest judge Nickole Brown who is a professor at Little Rock, Arkansas.

Brown read some of her work, and oh man it was awesome! It was really great talking to her afterward about the poem that she had picked for runner up. It was a totally new experience to me and it was really all around awesome! It was nice to know that my poetry is good enough that an author picked it, especially considering I'm a fiction person and not a poetry person.

Being chosen basically led to.. well... this!
Then turned into this...

But I made it through! I talked a little fast, and I felt a little awkward at first, but I got through it! And I enjoyed it! I won a notebook to write in and a 25 dollar Amazon gift card. Not too shabby if I do say so myself!

So guys, what have you won/been recognized for/etc!? Brag/share/toot your own horn!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Congratulations, that's great! What kind of a poem was it? Will it be possible for us, readers of your blog, to see it? (I love poetry, so obviously I'm curious!)

    I haven't won anything lately, but I held a great presentation in Academic English class - and was told it was the best student presentation of the course. So yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a poem talking about my sister and my relationship when I was younger. Hmm, it's a possibility that it will show up on here somehow! I don't want to make a whole post of it, so we'll see! =]

      That's awesome about your presentation! I'm about to go give one on dangling modifiers! =P

      Delete